Solar Repairs and Maintenance
Has your solar company in Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire let you down?
While we hope your system is in full working order problems can occur, Solar Strategies offer a full periodic inspection and report on your solar PV System.
After the 'FIT' cuts back in December many companies have been forced to close down, leaving their customers without any backup.
Solar Strategies can offer / help you with the following:
- Expert Advice
- Unfinished works
- Fault finding and Repairs
- DIY & Cowboy repairs
- Loose or incorrectly fitted panels
- Untidy cable runs
- Broken tiles or leaking roofs
Case Study: Mr and Mrs Mobley Markyate, St Albans
Solar Strategies were called in May 2012 to visit the property, the owner had problems with his Solar PV system.
Upon arriving at the address the findings were a catalogue of non-compliances and poor workmanship carried out by a Solar PV company that has now been dissolved.
The findings were:
- No AC Test sheets provided to show added circuits results.
- No DC Test sheets provided to show Open Voltage, Short Circuit Current and Irradiance Values of Solar PV System.
- No Schematic drawing next to inverter showing details of PV System.
- No Handover pack provided informing client of isolating supplies, what to do in the event of a fault, future guidance.
AC Electrical Installation
- Loose fitting Generation Meter Cover
- AC cables that go in to Generation meter are not double insulated and exposed, shock risk.
- AC switches are not labelled.
- Consumer unit is not labelled correctly, blanks missing, shock risk.
- Ac cable installed is 2.5mm, should be a size of 4.0mm to comply with volt drop.
DC Electrical Installation
- Inverter not labelled correctly.
- DC Isolators not labelled correctly.
- No warning labels to DC cables.
- DC cables do not have glands in to the Isolator.
- DC cables lay loose over the roof tiles, risk of cable degradation.
- DC cables jointed by means of a 5 amp connector block and insulation tape, fire risk.
Panels and Roof
- Number of tiles damaged, water ingress risk.
- Bracket missing on Panel, risk of panel becoming loose with high winds.
- General state roof mounting is poor, brackets loose, likely that panels will become a fall risk.
ConclusionThis installation had to be turned off immediately. The workmanship was the worst I have ever seen. Every MCS requirement has not been fulfilled; the installation is a hazard and an accident waiting to happen.
Solar Strategies rectified the installation by:
- Removing Panels and substandard roof mounting.
- Install Fisher Fixings roof mounting, and repair roof.
- Re-wire all electrics to MCS standard.
- Provide all documentation required for Solar PV System.
- Provide 10 year installation warranty for client.
After the work was carried out Mr Mobley commented "We are very happy to say that the system is now working and glad that Solar Strategies came to our rescue".
Please see photos of before and after.